Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Why Conventions are Cool

I'm streaming the convention on my computer while doing various and sundry things for work. Mark Warner has just taken the podium. But, before he did, there was about 5 minutes of downtime from the prior speaker. During that time the song "I'm so excited" played, and the cameras showed pictures of enthusiastic Democrats in the hall dancing, singing along, wearing silly hats, talking to each other, and shaking hands.

I've always found Conventions reassuring, because it shows a swath of America that really cares about politics, that is so completely energized by their party, and who have as part of their identity being political, being part of a party.

I know there's much hand wringing about the red/blue divide, and I have done some of that myself. But, it's also nice to see excitement for politics expressed in smiles and by bodies.

No comments: