Monday, January 22, 2007

Dirty Politics Already

I ran across an article on CNN tonight with a headline that stopped me in my tracks: "CNN debunks false report about Obama." Of course, I had to know what the "false report was."

It appears that staff from Hillary Clinton's campaign released to Insight Magazine information that Obama had attended a madrassa when he was a child living for a time in Indonesia. (A madrassa is a Islamic-fundamentalist school). This "fact" was reported on CNN, Fox News, and other outlets late last week.

CNN, it seems, traveled to the alleged madrassa and found it to be, yes a Muslim school, but not of the fundamentalist sort.

When a Clinton staffer was queried about this, he said it was "an obvious right-wing hit job."

My question is: If so, then why did it come from the Clinton campaign? And, why are other news outlets reporting something that came from Insight Magazine?

Sun Myung Moon's Unification Church (i.e. the moonies) own Insight Magazine. According to the Center for Media and Democracy, it tends to promote right-wing views.

If only cable "news" actually did its job of investigating facts instead of reporting rumors. Bah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kind of reminds me of the "West Wing" where the Democrats know dirt about Alan Alda's Republican presidential candidate and they call the press only to find the press knew the same information and was just waiting for the Democrats to make hay with it.

What I mean by that is that I would expect nothing less from Fox and even CNN to make a big deal out of something only partially true or even mostly false in order to generate some controversy and drive up eyeballs

Anna said...

Got my first Obama email after the State of the Union address, nothing yet from Clinton.