Friday, November 24, 2006

Give to Your Local Food Bank

On this Thanksgiving weekend, I tend to reflect back on past Thanksgivings, and people, events, and things in my life that make me thankful.

One thing I am thankful for is food. I know that sounds rather silly, but when I was a teenager, food was scarce at times. My Mom had mental health and chemical dependency issues, which led her down a classic path of divorce, economic distress, job insecurity, job loss, and welfare. Since she had custody of me and my brother, we joined that path with her. There was a set of Thanksgivings and Christmases that were made possible only through the generosity of others. That generosity was funneled through our local food bank.

So, this Thanksgiving weekend, be thankful that you are not one of the estimated 35 million Americans (according to the Agriculture Department) that do not have regular access to food on a given day. Be generous and give to your local food bank.

In the richest nation in the world, no one should go hungry.

No comments: