Sunday, November 12, 2006

Election Post Mortem

Like all political junkies I was up until the wee hours Tuesday night into Wednesday morning watching the returns come in. When it was clear Montana, Missouri, and Virginia were not going to be decided in the next few hours, I went to bed.

I woke up with the news that Missouri had been called for McCaskill, leaving Montana and Virginia. By Friday, the outcome was clear: The Democrats were the majority in both the House and the Senate.

I am relieved to see, at last, a check on the executive. I believe it is problematic when both the executive and the legislative branches are held by the same political party. The legislative branch as of late has been especially meek, tepid, and mostly useless, with too many legislators saying "Yes" to whatever the executive asks for, while lining their pockets with lobbyist money, and bringing home the bacon to constituents to ensure the lever gets pulled for them the next election cycle.

And, even though there were ridiculously few genuinely competitive races this year, I'm heartened to see Americans rejecting another 2 years of what we've seen the last 6. I don't think the budget, our foreign policy, or minimum wage workers can stand much more of the same.

1 comment:

Joe Erjavec said...

Hey Jen,

I pop in here a couple of times a week to check out your posts. Keep up the good work.

I am very happy with the election results, even though we voted Pawlenty in again as governor here (MN). We have balance again, and that is healthy.