Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Theme of This Summer

"Out of my Comfort Zone."

I ran into a colleague on campus yesterday, and he reminded me that we only have three weeks left of summer. I did not need to hear that.

But, it got me thinking about what has transpired this summer. As usual, I have not gotten as much accomplished as I had envisioned, and a trip to Minnesota is not going to happen. But, I have done some things, many of which are new for me - and challenging: the dogs, the longer runs, gaining authorization to drive the ambulance for Helderberg volunteer EMS, learning guitar, and doing a whole new kind of data analysis than I have done before. The latter two have been the most frustrating. I still cannot get my fingers to make a nice sounding G chord, and the data analysis has been so very slow.

But, I am learning things, and pushing myself out of well worn routines. That makes for a satisfying summer.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Oh, I'm bummed that you won't be visiting, but that's some cool out of comfort zone you've been doing. Congrats!

Chris said...

I know what you mean about the G chord! Of course I have put down my guitar again in pursuit of other things for the time being. My "out of my comfort zone" was buying the house and a new car all in one summer. Not to mention all the house projects I have going on by myself. Not at all what I envisioned for myself, but I have to say, it's pretty cool! Well, except for the being VERY poor thing!