Thursday, July 20, 2006

Where is Jenny S-G?

Joshie Juice posted on the last entry a question: Where am I?

I've not been a good blogger for a while. I know. I've been sort of hiding. I don't have good reasons, but I have reasons.

The run-up to the trip to Dresden and Budapest at the end of June was hectic. I had both an encyclopedia entry and a book chapter due immediately upon my return, and as usual it was a scramble to get them finished.

Upon my return, I've buried my head deep in analyzing and writing up research I've been working on for forever now. At the conference in Dresden it sunk in that I'm going up for tenure in a year, so now is the last big push. When I'm in the writing stage, I find it best to be a bit of a recluse (even a bit enjoyable after the high social interaction and distractions of the semester). I'm trying to be disciplined and not distracted by such things as thoughts for the blog.

As well, I feel overwhelmed by what is happening in the Middle East and in the United States both domestically and our foreign policies, and I don't even know where to start to express my thoughts on the many bad happenings.

Even more preoccupying, I've been taken with the journey of my fellow ASC alum Danna and her husband Mike who had a brain tumor. He died Tuesday, and I've been coping with my sadness for her, my grief that has resurfaced about my mom's death, and my own fears of mortality . . . . I'm afraid of death, so I'm not blogging (how's that for an excuse?).

But, on the positive side, I'm running my first 5K on Saturday with my friend Emily (I know, you couch potatos will say there's nothing positive about running a 5K race . . . . . ) . I've been running two days a week and doing a long run on weekends. I'm up to 7 miles. My goal is 10 by the end of the summer. The dogs make great running companions.

So, maybe now that I've broken the seal of solitude, I'll be a good blogger again?

3 comments:

Anna said...

Wow. I don't know why, but I'm always surprised at what an emotional roller-coaster life is. My heart goes out to Danna and to you as well. I'll be rooting for you on Saturday!

Jenny S-G said...

Thanks, Anna, for rooting for me. I thought of you today as I was in the first mile, imagining that you could be doing this in no time.

As for Mike and Danna - their tragedy has reminded me of how fragile life is. As painful as that reminder is, it is also useful - so that I might, perhaps, live more fully and not take this precious gift for granted.

Rod Carveth said...

Jen,

Sorry to hear about the death of your friend's husband. Sounds like he was way too young.

Hang in there.

Rod