Sunday, December 25, 2005

In Defense of "Happy Holidays"

Christian conservatives are backlashing against polite people. In a move out of the political correctness handbook, Christian conservatives have made it un-PC to say "Happy Holidays." Such a phrase is offensive, it seems, because it hides the fact that the fabeled birth of Christ occurred today.

To this, all I can say is: When did it become rude to be polite, respectful, and aware? I choose "Happy Holidays" over "Merry Christmas" because I know that there are a number of holy days during this month for not only Christians, but Jews, Sikhs, pagans, and others. I cannot tell the faith or persuasion of the many people I encounter this time of year at the bank, at the grocery, at school, at the dry cleaners to whom I wish glad tidings.

To say "Merry Christmas" is to assume everyone is Christian. To say "Happy Holidays" is not intended to minimize Christmas but to respect and acknowledge that not everyone around me is Christian. I simply wish to be polite and respectful. (And, isn't that good Christian values?)

So, to my readers: Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Anna said...

When did it become rude to be polite, respectful, and aware?

Yes. This is exactly what drives me nuts when I hear people claiming about "having" to be PC, or taking pride in their lack of being PC.

Somehow the conservatives have become rather adept at co-opting really useful (as in polite, respectiful, and aware) phrases.

Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings to you and yours!